Monday, October 1, 2012

The Bex Finally Meet!!

Nearly 7.5 years ago I met another Rebecca on a parenting message board where I'm a member. In fact she was another Rebecca Leigh (though her middle name is spelled Lee) and married to a Luke! We became fast and very close friends. We dubbed ourselves 'The Bex.'

We became pregnant in 2005 just a month apart. I miscarried that baby (my first miscarriage), and she went on to have Lucy in July 2006. Through that miscarriage, my two year journey trying to become pregnant and loosing two more babies, becoming pregnant with and having Micah, through my breast cancer, infertility again and adoption, she was one of my biggest encouragers and supporters. We celebrated and cried together. She always had a shoulder for me to lean on. And she was always there to celebrate all the awesome times.

Only it was from a distance. A FAR distance. She lives in Australia.

She and her family had planned to come to the US about two years ago, but her husband was transferred to Tasmania (the island below the mainland of Australia) as they had begun to plan their trip. We were both bummed but knew we'd meet one day.

In the midst of my pain a few weeks ago, that time came. On Sept 7 (and maybe TMI, but it was as I was walking out the door to head to the airport that the bleeding part of the miscarriage began), I headed to the airport to pick up my Aussie half and her family!

We had the best weekend. And the timing couldn't have been better. What could have easily been an awful weekend was one of the best weekends I could've hoped for.

Our families just hung out like we'd all known each other all our lives. Bec and I had for years but our Lukes had never met, and of course, neither had our children. Everyone got along beautifully, and the weekend flew by.

I don't know when I'll see them again, but I hope it's not another seven years!!! Maybe a trip to Australia in our future??

 Lucy and Levi. She just loved him!!!


Our long awaited first pic together!!

Lucy and Micah

They 'fixed' nearly everything in our house.


Lucy wanted to squeeze between the boys so she could be with Levi.

Luke and the kids joined Luke and our kids (no, it wasn't confusing at all around here!!!) at Lowe's for their free Build and Grow program the Saturday they were here. Micah's friend Mackenzie was there, too.

 Micah and Mason being silly while having a snack.

Bec's Luke showing Levi how to make friendship bracelets. :-)

We went to the Discovery Place museum while they were here. Everyone had fun. Levi loved checking himself out in the mirrors.

 Micah liked these gears.

Lucy spent a long time building things.

Mason playing pots!

Levi at the water table.

Micah really loved Luke. Here they are looking at their hands under a microscope. 

Then they ran around the museum playing hide 'n seek.

Mason & Lucy are quite the little artists! Not surprising since Bec is a fantastic artist herself.

Watching the 'Dory fish.'

Micah and Luke checking out the octopus.

Bec pointing out different places in Australia for Micah and me.

 All of us!!!

The Bex

2 comments:

  1. Congrats and what a great and special meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm in tears remembering what an amazingly special time that was! I love you Becca! xxx

    ReplyDelete