Tuesday, June 23, 2009
One Year Later
One year ago this morning I sat across a round table from a radiologist. Mom was to my left holding Micah, who was 4 days shy of 4 months old. I was there to receive a diagnosis that I already new in my heart I would hear. The doctor and I locked eyes and she looked at me very solemnly and said, "I’m sorry but we found cancer cells." "So I have breast cancer." And yes, it was more a statement than question. She nodded. "Yes." I will never forget that exchange. I sat there for another 2 hours or so as another lady explained my diagnosis and all that was to come. You know the rest. And here I sit one year later. A one year cancer survivor with a head of a little hair, most of my strength and the most amazing husband and nearly 16 month old son I could ever hope for. Praise God for amazing doctors and medicine, for complete healing, for my friends and family, for perfect strangers.. for every person and every thing that helped me and my family survive this past year! Thank you for the cards, the prayers, the food, the babysitting, the extended care taking visits, the gifts, the encouragement, for listening to me when I needed you, and for rejoicing with me in November when we learned I was cancer free! For anything and everything you’ve done. If you’ve been a part of my life in the last year, we thank you. We love you. We couldn’t have done it without you. And once again, we ask you to rejoice with us on this very special day!!! Happy Cancerversary to me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

What a miracle! Congrats, Rebecca!
ReplyDeleteYour blog is wonderful. This is my favorite post. Congrats again <3
ReplyDeleteHere is my new blog....I know it *sounds* questionable but you will love it, I'm sure.
www.dietwhore.typepad.com
Love you.