Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Just Trying to Breathe

I'll start at the end. Or at least where we are today. And this will be long.

I'm having a miscarriage. I start here because I want to recount the whole story and don't want to lead you to believe the ending will be a happy one.

Why am I blogging about this when most people would've never disclosed that they were pregnant? Firstly, I want prayer. Secondly, this has been incredibly awful for us, and should I ever want to reference this time in my life, I'd like this information to already be known. Thirdly, I want to recount the details for myself. Lastly, it's therapeutic for me to write this out.

The week of August 20th I felt pregnant. If you know my story, you'd know this idea is pretty crazy considering I can't get pregnant. Two REs (infertility docs) told us it was impossible for us to become pregnant on our own because my eggs were basically non-existent and what was there was severely damaged AND I don't ovulate anymore. Two years ago we were given a 1-2% chance of getting pregnant with IVF on the highest amount of fertility drugs available, and even if that were to happen, no one knew what my chances would be of carrying that pregnancy.

So anyway... the week of Aug 20. I felt pregnant. I won't go into why. I just did. But I knew I was crazy.

On the 23rd, my pregnancy feelings hadn't gone away. I'd spent 3 days battling myself. "I feel pregnant. I don't think I am. I can't be. But I feel pregnant." "You can't be pregnant. It's impossible. No way you're pregnant." "But I FEEL pregnant."

So I took a test. To prove to myself that there was no way I could be pregnant and to stop the internal argument I was having with myself.

It was positive.

I stood in the bathroom stunned. My feet were firmly planted but I was shaking like a leaf. I couldn't move. Or breathe.

I couldn't function. I was in such a fog that I had to call Luke to come home from work. I was actually incapable of taking care of the boys.

There is no way I could've been more shocked. Or scared. I was scared out of my mind. Luke was right there with me in all my emotions.

I went to my OB's office that afternoon, Thursday 8/23, and had a blood test. My hcg came back the next day at a 9. Very low. But the real indicator of how things were progressing would come with the next blood test. But I'd have to wait until Monday with results on Tuesday.

One of the longest weekends of my life. But the symptoms continued with no danger signs. I went Monday for the test. We needed an hcg of about 40 to know things were headed in the right direction. On Tuesday, my OB called. It was 50!!! We were elated and breathing much easier.

From Tuesday (8/28) 'til Sunday (9/2) I was so happy. Amazed at what was happening and optimistic. But I was realistic and knew that we were definitely not out of the woods.

On Sunday (9/2), I was awoken at 2am with excruciating back pain. It felt just like the back labor I had with Micah. And I was bleeding red. I just knew everything was over. But to be safe, I only took Tylenol and used a heating pad. After about four hours of this, the pain subsided and I was able to sleep.

When I got up around 10am the pain was gone. I was a little uncomfortable but there was no pain. And the bleeding had stopped and I had just a little brown spotting.

I called the OB's office anyway. I wanted to know if I needed to do anything.

Since it was a Sunday and the following day was Labor Day, they advised me to go to the ER to get checked out. I already had an appt. set up with my OB for Tuesday, but that was two days away.

So I got to the ER on Sunday at 1pm. After five (Yes, 5!!!!) hours there, we still didn't have any answers. The good news is that my hcg was 606!! At that point, to know the pregnancy was progressing normally, we needed to see at least a 400. So good news!

But still no explanation for the pain or bleeding. There was a mass found on my left ovary, but with an hcg of 606, there is no way it could have been the sac/baby since hcg needs to be at least 1,000 to see anything, and in most cases, more than 1,000.

The ER doc led us to believe the pregnancy was ectopic, but since I wasn't further along, it was simply too early to tell. I was sent home with instructions to come back if the pain returned.

Monday was long. I had a little spotting but no pain.

Tuesday finally came. Luke stayed home so I could take it easy. And we were both still so anxious that I think we both needed him to be here.

I had no pain or cramping all day. Just a little brown spotting.

I bled/spotted off and on with Micah 'til I was 8.5 weeks along. I tried not to let the spotting bother me.

When I saw my OB yesterday, she was very optimistic. She said the mass on my ovary was very likely a cyst and agreed with us that with an hcg of 606 there is no way that mass could've been the sac/baby. I was so relieved!! She said the pain could be lots of things and reminded me that some people just bleed. And I had been one of those with Micah.

She said I'd have another blood draw and we'd have the results in the morning (today). If the numbers at least doubled (and they'd been more than doubling ever 48 hours), we'd have an ultrasound on Thursday to see if we could find the sac and its location.

We were so relieved yesterday. Luke and I were so full of hope.

I was still spotting last night, but it was so minimal. I was finally able to not worry about it and just be hopeful.

My OB called at 9:30 this morning.

249. WAY below 606 and definitely not the at least 1212 we needed to know everything was ok.

So, it's over. Almost as quickly as it started, it's over.

I have not started to pass anything yet. Still just spotting.

I pray it starts soon. I need this roller coaster of a nightmare to be over. 

I will have another blood test late next week to determine if my levels have gone back to square one. If not, we'll go from there, probably with a D&E.

I can barely breathe. Fortunately, crying forces you to breathe. I'm a complete mess.

A few people have said, "Well, at least you know you can get pregnant now."

Unfortunately, that's not good news. It's very risky for me to be pregnant. I have muscles that have been moved around (from my TRAM flap surgery) that are not exactly in place to handle a pregnancy well. We know my egg quality is terrible, so even if I was able to become pregnant again, the outcome would likely be the same.

And Luke and I cannot handle this emotional mess. We simply cannot be constantly wondering if we're going to get pregnant. Can get pregnant. Are pregnant. And then if so, we cannot have a repeat of the last two weeks.

The plan at the point is for me to get an IUD in the near future. When everything in my body is normal. As normal as my body is.

So there ya go. An unexpected story for you I'm sure. Definitely so for me. I promise I'm more shocked by all of this than you can possibly be.

I don't ask for pity. I ask for prayers.

I'm not mad. It's not fair, but what about life is?

I'm heartbroken. I'm a mess. There are moments when I feel like I can't go on. But I know I will. I have before. This is my fourth miscarriage. I've been though this. I've been through infertility. I've been through cancer. And God has given me His strength through it all. He has carried me through. I can't see the end of this. The end of this pain. But I know it will come.

So just pray for us. Please.


22 comments:

  1. Oh Becca. I don't know what to say. I love you and you're in my prayers. I'll keep you in my prayers. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last update I saw was last night. I was happy for you. I was excited, and thinking everything would be okay. I'm sorry this happened. I'll be thinking of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying for you dear. :(. I am so sorry. Somtimes we just don't understand why. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. praying for you all. I've been there, we lost our first IVF baby at 15 weeks and I had to go through a D&E. My prayer is for your heart to heal because I know your body will. Sending love and hugs and strength to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca & Luke, words Connor express how sorry I am for what God is leading you through right now. My prayers are with you for grace, mercy, patience, forgiveness (so you aren't bitter towards God) and peace. I pray you find peace in Gods word during this hard & terrible time. I pray you find solace in the joy of knowing Him and the work you have on raising your sweet boys and being Luke's perfect wife. My heart is so heavy right now with your loss. I'm sorry. I am praying for you. Tracey Hines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am crying with you, Rebecca. I cannot imagine this pain, but do know what it is like to feel like you cannot go on. I am inspired and encouraged by you and your story...and the Lord is reflected in every part of it. Please know I will be thinking and praying for you all. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry you have to endure this! I know, all too well, that the unexpected surprise makes it even harder to process! I won't try to give you advice or make you feel better, like all of the well-meaning, but idiotic (yes...I said it...IDIOTIC!!!) comments people make :( I will just offer lots and lots of prayer for comfort and healing and discernment! Please ask Elaine for my number if youd like to talk! I didn't have a D&C (it happened naturally at home) so if you're scared I can walk you through sweet friend! My heart hurts for u! I am so so sorry! Love and hugs to you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry, Becca. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry for your loss. Praying for you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for your loss. I send this prayer out. Dear Father, please comfort this beautiful family in their time of need now. I pray that You will let them feel Your love through this difficult time. I pray that You will help Becca through the medical process that she needs to go through and make her recovery quick and as easy as is possible. I pray for this family, Lord, that through this turmoil, they will pull closer to one another and closer to You. I pray these things in Your Son's Holy Name. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Rebecca...I'm so sorry to hear this news. I will be praying for you guys. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rebecca, A. Naomi here. Precious one, I am definitely praying for you and your hubby. I'm sad with you and ask the Lord to comfort you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man girl! I'm so sorry! Clay told me after work today and we just prayed on the way home from work! We will continue to pray! Gosh ..this has been such a fast roller coaster for you and Luke this past week and a half. I pray that the Lord gives you both strength and a peace about everything. We love you girl. If you want us to take the boys for a little feel free and call me. We love you guys! Praying!

    ReplyDelete
  14. okay so now this is weird...why do I have a blog but I never made one?!?! Why does it say Gerringer's Class...bahahaha....okay so I hope you laughed bc so random...weird?!?! night girl

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Becca. I am so very sorry for this heartbreak you and Luke are going through. I pray for your healing and recovery during this time. Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First time reader refered her from failthfullyinfertile. I will be lifting you up in prayer. There is no "right" thing anyone can say to you right now and lots of wrong things. May Christ bring you peace and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I continue praying for you, Sweet Rebecca. There is really nothing anyone can say and people do say the wrong things because they don't know what to say. (I can vouch for that w/ my 5 miscarriages.) Praying God's comfort for you and Luke and that God will carry you through this. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My goodness, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Your family will certainly be in our thoughts and prayers. (((((HUGS)))))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rebecca, Elaine asked me to pray for you and I have been. I've been down the miscarriage road as well as infertility issues and it's just so painful. I am so, so sorry for the loss of this little one and for your family. I will keep praying for you.

    Sarah I.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So so sorry, I know the heartache of this roller coaster. I am praying for you today, may your hears know peace.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so sorry for your loss and I will be praying for the Lord to give you comfort during this painful time.

    ReplyDelete