Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Loosing Lily.. .. and Good News, Too

Today we found out that we will not be adopting 'Lily.'

In our girls' country, children older than 7 (I think.. might be 8) who are mentally able must consent to their adoption. Children can refuse to be adopted. We've known of this risk from the beginning. There are many reasons a child may not want to be adopted. In Lily's case, we understand her reasons (that I'm choosing not to share here) for making this choice being only 15 years old, but nonetheless, we are absolutely heartbroken and pray it is the 'right' decision. We hope and pray she beats the stats. We know our God is bigger than stats and pray she escapes a life of sex trafficking, drugs, crime, suicide.. finds a way to stay on her HIV meds once she ages out next year.... we pray she 'makes it' and lives a long and happy life and somewhere along the way is exposed to the Gospel and God's love for her.
Our facilitator has been at the girls' orphanage the last few days. This is how he learned the news. While there, he did learn that 'Stella' DOES want to be adopted! We are thrilled to know this and are looking forward to bringing her home!!
We are still hopeful about bringing home TWO girls and still feel and believe that is God's plan for us. Over the next few weeks we will be prayerfully considering other children and are working with Reece's Rainbow to learn who our 2nd daughter will be. As soon as we know this, we will share, and we hope to have news fairly soon. 'Lily' will never be replaced, and we will always love her, but we will press on to bring home two children, and we pray God will make it clear who our other daughter will be.

Please continue to pray for 'Lily.' Please pray for all of these 'older' orphaned children. They live such tough lives, and if someone does come to adopt them, they have such BIG decisions to make... bigger than any child should ever have to make, and it's heartbreaking. We pray all those not adopted or who choose not to be will 'make it' and defy the horrible statistics of sex trafficking, crime, suicide and other horrors.
And also please keep 'Stella' in your prayers as well as our other daughter.. whoever she may be. While heartbroken, we are excited to see who God has planned to join our family. His plan is usually different than mine but is ALWAYS perfect.
We love you, Lily. We will never forget you. Ever.

12 comments:

  1. I am sorry for this turn of events and I am sure you are heartbroken at the news. I hope that the children you are meant to have find their way to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for your family. This is such a hard journey of faith--stepping out on a road that you can't see the end of. But I'm thanking God, with you, that He sees all the way to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss. The 'stats' are so painful. I pray with you that she makes it and grows to be the woman God created her to be. I pray, too, that God heals your hearts over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear this. Praying for Lily!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry Lily will never get the blessing of being your daughter. Maybe this just means there was another girl that God thought needed you more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear this, Becca. I will keep all 3 of your girls in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear this, Becca. I will keep all 3 of your girls in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not know you or the background of your situation, but we had the exact situation with our "son" Sasha, who refused to be adopted, but only after we got over to him. Of course, at that time, they hadn't told him about us until we got to the orphanage, and he had to make the decision in a few days. We still love him and pray for him every day, and our hearts are still broken as God told us "he is to be your son" in very clear words. Our prayers for Sasha are the same as yours for Lilly. You will never forget her, but I am glad you have Stella to love and care for, plus whatever else God brings along. Prayers for your broken hearts today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart is breaking for you. Absolutely breaking. You have our prayers.

    Hugs,
    The Arayas

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry. I can't imagine having to make a decision like that at 15. I'm sorry for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry! It's too much for a child to make that decision. Prayers for Lily and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found your blog via our adoption Facebook group. Wow! I am so sorry for you and for her but I so appreciate your steadfastness in God's provision. I want so badly to go snatch her up for you and tell her she is making a huge mistake! The statistics are not good but I was reminded this morning of how God can take what was meant for evil and turn it to good. That is my prayer for Lily. Any chance she could change her mind back?

    ReplyDelete