Thursday, November 11, 2010

Big News Part 2

I'm going to have two breasts again!!! On January 5, I'm going in for surgery: a right mastectomy, expander put in on the right side and a TRAM flap on the left. We're removing the right breast for preventative reasons and ease of mind. My surgeon recommended it two years ago, but at the time I just wasn't ready to make that decision, but over two years later, I'm more than ready to get this done and have it all behind me! An expander will be put in on my right side and over the course of several months I'll have injections to expand it and then a surgery later on to put in a permanent implant. I don't have enough of my own tissue on the left due to the previous mastectomy and the radition I received to go the expander/implant route, so my plastic surgeon is going to be performing a TRAM flap. Bascially my transverse rectus abdominus myocutaneous (lower stomach region below the belly button) will be used to create a breast. I'll let you google if you want to learn more as many times when I describe it, I get a little too personal/graphic for some people. The surgery on Jan 5 will be about 8-9 hours and I'll be in the hospital for up to a week. My recovery is going to be long and hard, so we'll be seeking your prayers and help for sure! My mom will be helping us out by keeping Micah in TN for two weeks and then bringing him along with my grandmother back to NC for two weeks or so to help out here.

The biggest of the big news coming tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Crystal (Tinch) MaupinThursday, November 11, 2010

    That is awesome!!! We will be praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Crystal said!

    I've seen the TRAM procedure on Discovery Health or some surgery show. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete