Thursday, June 23, 2011

Thank You, God for Breast Cancer

Dear God,

I learned many things about myself, others, life and You going through breast cancer, and I still continue to learn because of it.

Not having hair really wasn’t all that bad. I’m thankful I didn’t have the task of washing any hair when it was sometimes hard enough to stand for 3 minutes to take a shower. Thank You for showing me I was beautiful, even bald.

Photobucket

Thank You for my 10 scars. Thank You for allowing me to realize that my body really is just a body, and while I’m to take care of the one You’ve given me, that it’s ok not to look the world’s idea of perfect. Thank You for reminding me of the precious gift of my health and life when I see my scars. And be with me and the doctors during my upcoming LAST surgery!!

Thank You for teaching me how precious each day is, that I need to live in the moment and for You and Your glory. Help me to do this better.

Thank You for always meeting every need I’ve ever had especially in those times when, in my timing, it seemed last minute. Thank You for showing me that Your timing is far more perfect than mine. Thank You for Your faithfulness and grace. Thank You for loving me.

Thank You for all of the people – family, friends and strangers – who gave time, money, gift cards, cards, gifts, food and prayers on our behalf for months! Thank You for showing me how amazing the people I have in my life are and for allowing me to love and appreciate them more than I ever imagined possible.

Thank You for my parents. For my mom who sat with me at my diagnosis and sacrificed amazing amounts of time and gave herself completely to my family to take care of me and my infant son. And for my dad who sacrificed my mom so that she could be here. For both for their prayers and love and for teaching me to love You.

Thank You for Luke, his faith in You and godly leadership in our home. Thank You for his optimism and patience with me. Thank You for his unconditional love toward both Micah and me.

Thank You for our amazing Micah. Thank You for giving me the joy and pleasure of watching and loving him as a baby during some of the hardest days of my life. Thank You for allowing me to see a glimpse of what Your love must be for us by giving us the gift of parenthood. Thank You for Micah’s spirit and curiosity. Help us to teach, nurture, encourage, support, and love him in the way You would have us so that he will grow up to be a godly man who loves You.

Thank You for allowing the chemo to take my fertility, the thing I begged You most not to do while praying for You to do what you needed to do in my life in order for me to make you my number one. Thank You for leading our hearts to adoption, something that may never have happened without the infertility diagnosis. Thank You for the precious child you will bring into our lives who we may have never met had I not had cancer. Be with that baby today and every day and his/her birth family. Keep them safe and healthy, and please open their hearts to You if they are not already. Please be preparing our baby to love and live for You.

Thank You for three years of being able to share my story and what You have done in me and through me. Thank You for my life. For my health. For allowing me to raise my son and watch him grow. For Luke and his love for us. For the baby(ies) coming. For my family, friends and the perfect strangers who have loved us, encouraged us and prayed for us – and still do! For all that You give us as we deserve nothing.

Thank you, God for that diagnosis three years ago today, June 23, 2008. Thank You for allowing me to go through breast cancer.

3 comments:

  1. Continued blessings to you and your family, Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing testimony to God in the storms...thx for boosting my faith today!

    ReplyDelete