Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Kindness of Strangers

As my Facebook friends and local friends know, we had a yard sale at our house this past Saturday. There were three total families who participated, so we were able to advertise it as a multi-family, adoption fundraiser sale. We had a decent number of people come and came away with nearly $200 total in sales and straight up donations.

One couple came early, right when we started just after 6am. They told us they don't live close to us but when they saw we were raising money for an adoption, they just had to come! They spent about $10 and gave us a $5 donation. They were the sweetest couple.

Today, I received the following letter:

Hello,

We were at your yard sale Saturday and we were very touched that you would go to so much trouble to adopt a child. We believe adoption is a beautiful picture of what God has done for us. We were once orphans in sin. But God reached us through Christ and brought us into His family as His dear children.

As we made our purchases, we gave you a small donation in addition to the cost. After we left, I really felt that we should've given you more. And then we thought, "Well, we have your address!" So were were able to send this gift. We wish we had a huge amount that we could send, but we trust God will bless this and bless you!

:-)

And $30 was enclosed!!! Brought me to tears!

They left no names, and there is no return address. Just the city they (we) live in. And I guess that's the way they wanted it. Completely anonymous. I wish I knew their names. I wish I could thank them. What they did today... no, what God did today through them touched my heart in a way it needed to be touched. There are no words for what that $30, from perfect nameless strangers means to Luke and me.

1 comment:

  1. Ministering Angels unawares! God is simply returning to you the blessing that you extended to us with our child! We prayed, the night Luke came to the hospital to encourage us, that the Lord would bless you for the kindness and love you extended to us! SO glad to see that God's promises NEVER return void!
    Blessings,
    Lauren Lockhart

    ReplyDelete