I've been asked by a few people how I survive the wait. What do you do? How do you not go crazy? Don't you think about it all time time?
Here's my answer.
1. First and foremost I pray. I pray all.the.time. As I've blogged, I pray for God's will to be done in my life, for my own patience and complete surrender to Him. I pray for peace, contentment and joy. I pray for wisdom, strength, guidance in raising my son. I pray for our future child, for the birth mother/father and for Micah. I pray for my children's future friends and spouses. I pray for our family of three, my extended family and my friends. I pray for health and safety of my family and friends. I pray for any need I'm aware of - adoption related or otherwise. I pray for the world around me, for Him to open the eyes of all how need him. I pray that He will use me to glorify His name. I pray prayers of thanksgiving and adoration.
2. I live my life! When we were TTC (trying to conceive) the first time, for nearly 2 years, I had a tendency to want to schedule around the what ifs of a pregnancy or due date. Some cycles I was obsessive and when trying to plan anything, tried to figure out how that would work if I were pregnant that very cycle. Now, I just live! I make plans knowing that when God choses to bring us our baby, if we have an event planned, it can be changed! I focus on being a wife and mother to my Micah, on seeing my friends, being involved with my church family, and doing things I enjoy.
3. I blog. It's theraputic for me. I don't intend or want to have an adoption blog. I have no problem or issue with adoption blogs or blogs devoted to any one subject. In fact, I like them. I read them. But I don't want an adoption blog. However, many of my posts have to do with adoption, because again, it's theraputic for me to blog, and I'm blessed to have people in my life who want to know what's going on because they love and care about me! But my blog will continue to be about a little of everything cause that's how I roll and what my life is - a bit of everything.
4. I talk about adoption. Again, I don't want my conversations to revolve around adoption or even have adoption come up in every conversation, but when I need to chat, I have people in my life (some who have been down this road before me) who I can talk to, confide in and gain knowledge from. And I talk about everything else in my life, too. Just because we're in the adoption process, life has not stopped (see #2) and I still chat about parenting, my interests, my friends' interests or concerns & prayer requests and whatever my friends/framily and I want to chat about!
5. I pray some more.

I love this! It is so easy to let adoption overtake your life! Especially when you are waiting. Trust me... been there, done that x3. I love your tips for not letting the adoption wait take over!
ReplyDeleteI would be a wreck waiting!
ReplyDeleteBeautifully put....couldn't have said it better <3
ReplyDelete