Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Instead of Resolutions

I don't really make New Year's Resolutions. I feel like for me, in the years I have made them, I've just set myself up for failure. I make goals anytime I want to set a goal and for a specific time period. Much easier and more realistic for me.

Like many others, there are certain verses in the Bible that I turn to more often than others. Some that comfort or encourage me. Some that challenge me. This past year, one that really stood out and that I turned to nearly daily is 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances,
for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

This year (and always!), I want these verses to be the theme of my life. I want to be joyful all the time. I want to pray and commune with God all the time. I want to be thankful all the time.

I want to do and be these things in all circumstances. Regardless of my mood. The mood of those around me. The weather. The way the pants 'should' fit. How I feel. How my kids feel. When the piles of laundry and dirty toilets seem never ending. When my husband has to work late. And so on.

I want to be joyful, prayerful and thankful. And I will need prayer in this endeavor. If you dare, pray for me in this.

And if you really dare, select a verse, passage or multiple ones of your own to keep in the forefront of your mind. A theme of your own to inspire and challenge you this year. Or this month. Or this week.

3 comments:

  1. Great idea and great verse! I will definitely be doing the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE this idea. I'm with you, resolutions don't really work for me. I think a Bible verse theme is a great way to inspire us. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete