After the hearing on Friday morning, we went back to Elaine's parents' house where we stayed. Elaine and her husband and their girls stayed there as well, and we all had a great time. We were able to have a bit of down time Friday afternoon, and Elaine and I were even able to escape for about an hour to go shopping.
That evening, our family of four was able to meet up with Erin and her husband Matt and their daughter Paige. Remember them? Paige is Levi's biological half-sister. We had a wonderful dinner at visit at The Cheesecake Factory. It was so good to see Erin and Paige again and be able to meet Matt. I'm thankful for the connection to them and the bond and friendship we share with them.
Paige with a sleeping Levi after dinner
Erin and I with the kids
The next morning we were able to meet Ashley for the first time. I'd been hoping and praying that we'd be able to meet her at some point, so Saturday morning was extremely special and amazing. We went to Jackie's house for breakfast where we met her husband, all but one of her children and one of her grand-daughters. They were so nice and welcoming, and we had a lovely time with them.
We were already at Jackie's when Ashley arrived. When she entered the house, I froze for a split second not knowing exactly what to do or say. I was sitting and my back was to the door. As soon as I snapped into reality, I stood up and turned around. We locked eyes and smiled and without a word gave each other a big hug. As soon as we hugged any awkwardness or tension present seemed to just melt away.
In no time, Ashley sat down by her mom who was holding Levi and was talking to him and playing with his toes. Then she said to her mom, "I want to hold him." She turned and looked at me with questioning eyes. I immediately said, "Please do!!" And she reached over and took him from Jackie. It was amazing to watch her with him. I had so many emotions from love to joy to heartache. She probably did, too. But it was never weird or awkward. Somehow even in this unique moment and time, all was right. Two mothers with an amazing love for the same boy. A perfect picture of fallen man and redemption.
Ashley holding Levi for the first time since his birth
Levi holding Ashley's fingers
She loved playing with his feet
The picture I've dreamed of being able to have for myself and for Levi
Levi's half brother (Jackie adopted him) loved holding Levi as well
I've always loved and been grateful for and to Ashley. On Saturday, I developed a care and love for her I did not know existed. She is an incredibly special person to me. Saturday morning was emotional. But it couldn't have gone any better for me, and I hope and pray she felt the same way. I hope it was as nice and as wonderful as it could have been for her, and I think it was because she indicated wanting to stay in touch via e-mail. :-)
Saturday evening we went to the Olive Garden with Elaine's family and her parents. We wanted to have a celebration dinner with them. It was nice to have a dinner with everyone and think back on the last six months and even since last March when the events that would bring our families together began.
Luke and I at the Olive Garden
And no visit with Elaine would be complete without pictures of the kids.
Micah and Little Bug
Levi and Sweet Pea
God has seen us through to the completion of Levi's adoption just as He promised. And through our adoption journey, He has brought incredible people into our lives. For them and for this weekend, I'm eternally grateful.













Wonderful story. I read it to Elizabeth this morning while she was having her breakfast with me. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDelete