If you know me personally, and especially if you know my wonderful yet super stubborn son, you know that the issue of potty training has been a tough one for us. Micah has been disinterested and flat out refused any effort thus far, though to be honest, there hasn't been a lot of effort since we try to pick our battles and with all we've been dealing with these last few months, the timing hasn't seemed optimal anyway. However, today he got up from his rest time wanting to go potty!!!! So even though I didn't plan to tackle this 'til after my sister's wedding in May, I'm not arguing this! He tried but couldn't go, and was actually disappointed. Then he asked for big boy underwear! I was floored. I'm still floored. But I put some on him. Here we go! If you saw my post below, then you know this timing could actually be great, so I'll see what happens and pray for my own patience.
And I have little to no idea what I'm doing, so pointers (here, so they won't get lost on FB please) are welcome.

Rebecca,
ReplyDeleteMy little man is now 6 and potty training wasn't as bad as I was afraid it was going to be. The fact that your son is telling you he is ready is awesome! I learned from a radio personality when we still lived in Harriman that when they decide they want big boy underware, to do exactly that. Starting now, the only time u should put him in a diaper now is sleeping or traveling. Then there is the hard part. When he has an accident, leave them on him for a little bit. That way he totally understands what happens and how it feels if he goes potty in his big boy underware. Trust me...he won't like it at all and after an accident or two and having to feel yucky because he didn't go to the bathroom, the diapers will be history. It worked so well for Elijah. I think he had one accident in his big boy underware and got to feel yucky once and that was it. Best of luck and just be patient. Keep me posted please...oh and as far as going poop in potty...the doctor told me to everyday put Elijah on the toilet for 5 to 7 mins with a book. I still do this with Elijah because he sometimes don't want to take the time to go poop. So we sit in the bathroom for 5 to 7 mins and he practices reading while allowing his body to become routine on potty time after dinner before bed. I hope this makes sense and helps a little at least. I will keep you in my thoughts lol