Tuesday, May 17, 2011

From Atlanta to Omaha

I'm sitting in a hotel room in Atlanta with Micah. Luke is in Omaha.

Luke's employer sent him to Atlanta this week for a conference. We decided a while ago that Micah and I would tag along for the week and have a bit of a vacation. We arrived on Sunday evening, had a nice night and looked forward to the rest of the week.

Monday morning (yesterday), Luke left early for his conference and Micah and I were going to spend the day playing in the room and swimming since it was a rainy day here. When Micah woke up something possessed him to play with my glasses while I was getting ready. He broke them. Into 5 pieces. I was so angry. Much more angry than I probably should of been. But he knew better and that was clear in his eyes and face when I looked at him. (I've been surviving ok just being sans glasses or by wearing my prescription sunglasses.)

While he continued to be in a bad mood and I continued to try to appropriately discpline and just survive the day couped up with a grumpy Micah, I received a call from my sister-in-law telling me that Luke's grandfather had passed away.

Before I knew it, I'd been on the phone off and on for a few hours while trying to entertain and keep calm a still grumpy, moody Micah, and by the time Luke arrived here around 6:30, I'd booked him a ticket to Omaha.

Luke flew out this morning to be with his family and to be able to be at the viewing and graveside service/burial of his grandfather tomorrow morning. My heart hurts for the whole family, especially since I can't be there with and for Luke as he celebrates his grandfather's life and yet mourns his passing.

Micah and I decided to make the best of our day without Luke (though he wouldn't have been with us during the day anyway). My sister Kimberly and her new husband Doug live near Atlanta and just got back from their honeymoon last night. So today Micah and I spent the day with Kimberly and had dinner with both of them this evening.

When we got back here, I was exhausted. It was 8:00, and really, I just wanted to collapse and watching Dancing with the Stars. But Micah had other plans. Nothing major. Just wanted my full attention which I didn't really want to give. But he was just in awe looking out our seven story window watching the traffic lights. "Mom! Look! They're changing! It's red but will be green any minute!" I just smiled. To be so excited and amused by something so simple and everyday.

So we sat at the window watching a traffic light change colors with unexplainable excitement for about half an hour. And I don't know why, but tears filled my eyes and I really could've just sat forever in that moment with my precious three year old, who even though yesterday was nothing short of a challenge, just captures my heart and brings me such joy. I'm thankful for the little guy who appreciates and finds such amazement in things I don't think twice about. It's fun to see the world through his eyes.

It was a near perfect day for Micah and me, and we're planning more fun with Kimberly & Doug tomorrow. But half my heart is in Omaha with Luke. Tomorrow as my husband and the rest of his family will laying his grandfather to rest, they'll be at the forefront of my mind and in my prayers.

Even though our family is seperated by 1,000 miles, Luke and I are both where we should be.

3 comments:

  1. Very well said. We love you and are there with Luke in thought and prayer. Hang in there, girl. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your family's loss. Please know you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

    Ugh on the glasses. I hope you are hanging in there okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a rare gem of a woman.

    -Luke

    ReplyDelete