Monday, July 25, 2011

When God Moves, He Moves: The Miracle of Levi

Just over a week ago, Luke and I sent in our application and profile to the same agency that my friend Elaine has been working with. Last Monday, July 18th, our package was received and that night we had a phone conference with our attorney Emily.

The conference went well and we closed saying that we hoped we’d be chatting with her soon and were excited to work with her.

Tuesday morning I had a three hour allergy/asthma appointment and testing scheduled. I dropped Micah off at a sitter’s house right about 8:10 and didn’t arrive to pick him up ‘til around 12:45.

I was completely exhausted having not slept the night before and was hoping with everything inside of me that Micah would nap (He naps maybe twice a week!), so that I could catch a nap myself.

For some reason I didn’t check my cell phone until I got home. When I walked in the door, I pulled it out of my purse and looked down. Three missed calls beginning at 8:11 am. All from Emily. She’d only left one voice message that simply said, “A situation has JUST come up and I need to talk to you. Please call me asap.”

I immediately called her but she was unable to talk and said she’d return my call within a few minutes. I was dying!! I was just certain a new birth mother had come in and she wanted to know if we’d like our profile shown. I was elated that this was happening so fast!

I didn’t want to call Luke yet. Not until I had more info, so I hoped on the computer to see if Elaine was on. She jumped on to chat with me and not much later the phone rang!!

Emily simply told me that a birth mother, who I’ll refer to as Ashley on the blog, had given birth the night before. The baby was a boy, born at 33w6d and Ashley had not yet been matched with an adoptive family. I’ll never forget Emily asking, “Are you interested?”

Somehow, with my head swirling and my body literally shaking, I said, “Yes!! I need to talk to my husband, but I think we want this baby!”

As soon as I hung up with Emily, I got in touch with Luke and quickly went over what little I knew. Both of us knew in our hearts this baby was OUR baby!

I chatted with Emily later that night and was told all that needed to happen at this point was to get an official ‘yes’ from Ashley. Our profile would be shown to her at 11 am Wednesday. We were told not to leave just yet and to sit tight until we heard from her on Wednesday. She said she’d call between noon and 2:00.

Knowing in my heart this baby was ours, I rushed around all night doing laundry, packing and making phone calls.

Wednesday morning I was very eager yet amazingly fairly calm. I spent the morning finishing the packing, making more calls and playing with Micah. And praying.

It was 11:00. Finally. I knew Emily was meeting with Ashley at that moment.

Then it was 12:00. The call could come any minute. I was beginning to get very excited but was still calm. I just kept praying. Praying God’s will. Praying for peace.

1:00. Still no call. “It’s ok,” I kept telling myself. “God is in control. Sit tight. Lean on HIM.”

1:15. An e-mail from Emily stating that Ashley was viewing our profile at that very minute. I knew there had been a delay in her getting to the hospital and was relieved to know she was there.

2:00. Nothing. I’m DYING. I need to know. Still praying. Still somehow experiencing emotions of eagerness, nervousness and peace. All at once.

2:07. RING!!! It’s Emily. “Rebecca, she loves you! She wants you. BUT you need to talk to her mother. Somehow she knew there was a Luke and Rebecca being shown to her daughter this morning. Ashley’s mother, Jackie, is having a hard time with this and wants to talk to you.”

But Emily had to go find Jackie and said she’d call back. I asked, “Is this a done deal? Am I on my way to (insert state here)?” She hesitated, so I rephrased. “Emily, I’m packed. All I need to do is load the car and go. Should I start loading the car or wait?”

“Load the car.”

Minutes later the phone rang again just as I was placing the last of our stuff in the van. I spoke with Jackie. She was concerned about her biological grandson being so far away. She’d adopted Ashley’s oldest child, a boy, and Ashley’s second child, a girl, had been adopted locally. Jackie still had contact with that little girl and her family and desired the same for this little boy. After chatting some and making a verbal arrangement that suited us both, she told us she was excited and couldn’t wait to meet us!!! But she was still curious about the connection – already knowing that a Luke and Rebecca would be shown to her daughter. She said it was none other than from God and His way of showing her that we were the parents meant for this little boy.

I was back on the phone with Emily. “Let’s meet tomorrow morning at the hospital. Jackie will be here, and you should be able to meet Ashley, too. Then we’ll go up and meet the baby. I’ll call you in a bit with a time and more details.”

“So it’s done? She’s really picked us? He’s really ours?”

“Yes!”

I called Luke. “Let’s go to (state)!” He just started laughing, and I could hear him smile. “Really? ALRIGHT!!!!!!”

And we were off!

I was able to get in touch with my friend Elaine a bit down the road. I told her the strangest thing had happened and that Jackie somehow knew about us. Elaine told me it was through an e-mail Jackie's friend/co-worker sent asking for prayers! Elaine's mom goes to church with this friend/co-worker of Jackie's and received the e-mail!!! Elaine’s side of that story is here and worth reading to understand the full story. God works in mysterious ways!!

Just half way into the trip, I got a call from Emily. Meeting would be Thursday morning, the 21st at 8:30 in the main lobby. Jackie would be there and we would meet her.

“What about Ashley?” I asked. “And when is the TPR (termination of parental rights) supposed to happen?” It had been scheduled for Thursday morning but I wanted to be sure all was still as planned.

“She signed it. And then she left. Not sure she’ll be at the meeting in the morning, but she knows about it.”

“So, it’s done? Like REALLY done? She already signed?!” I was in disbelief!! This had been too easy.

“Yes. Papers are signed. He’s YOURS.”

We chatted a second more and got off the phone. Luke and I were at a rest stop and out of our cars. (We drove separately.) I was able to tell him the news to his face, and we just beamed and began hugging.

We finished the rest of our trip and arrived to our destination late that night.

The next morning we met Emily & Jackie. After a brief chat and learning that Ashley was in labor during our phone conference with Emily that Monday night (amazing!!!) and explaning the crazy e-mail connection to Jackie, Luke and I ventured to the upstairs NICU to meet our son.

God is good. SO good and so faithful.

He put the desire to adopt on our hearts, and as he promises, He completed that work that He started.

On Tuesday, July 19th, all I wanted was a nap. What I got was a phone call that brought me my son.

12 comments:

  1. I LOVE this story. So excited for you, Luke, and Micah!! I can't wait for you to bring baby Levi home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Mark, Jack, & I are all so excited for you guys!! What an AMAZING answer to prayer! Praying that you will be able to take Levi home soon and that all goes well as you transition to life as a family of four. Can't wait to see you guys and meet Levi in November!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, breathtaking! What a special little guy! It all went so perfectly- just so meant to be!
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful story! Can't wait to meet the little guy at the heart of it all! Levi will be so grateful to have this story documented. Congrats and can't wait to have you guys home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from Elaine's blog.

    I just wanted to say congratulations!!! What an amazing, awesome GOD story! He is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm visiting from Elaine's blog. I just had to read your version of events after reading hers...I can't believe how amazing this whole story is and just how perfectly everything came together. I am so happy for your family and for little Levi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praise God for this awesome testimony of His power! This made my day! How exciting! Enjoy your new little bundle of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, so very awesome how God works. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing miraculous story! So Great! Please pray for friends of mine who are waiting for their child. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome story! That's so amazing how God worked in your lives. Your sweet little Levi is both a blessing and so blessed to have you as parents! I'm so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete