Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Discharge Details & Pics

I learned on Sunday that Levi would likely be discharged yesterday (Tuesday) and was just over the moon! It'd have been sooner since he hadn't had a tube feeding since Thursday night, but on Saturday, he had a slight weight loss, so they kept him a bit longer to observe him. On Monday the doctors were still saying Tuesday, so we did as much of the discharge stuff as possible that day (which wasn't a lot since our atty had to be there to sign paperwork).

The only thing that would keep Levi in the NICU after Tuesday would be a weight loss. I just prayed and prayed on Monday that he wouldn't lose any weight.

Yesterday morning I called the NICU to get his weight and see if he was officially being discharged.

He'd gained 6 grams and was going home!!!

This NICU has very strict rules. I have friends who've had babies stay in this same NICU one and two years ago, and in both cases the rules then were not what they are now. Apparently, there have been some outbreaks of illnesses, and so they've really cracked down.

All that to say this: Because of these strict rules, I was not able to have anyone in the NICU with me this entire time. Luke was here those first four days. Since then, it's been me and only me (with the exception of Jackie a few times).

However, when I called yesterday, I asked the nurse if I'd be able to have Elaine come up with me since my husband wasn't in town yet. I just wanted someone to be able to take pictures, and of course, I was DYING for Elaine to be able to meet Levi!!

The nurse said YES!! So for the first (and last) time I would be able to have company in the NICU and photos to document me preparing him to leave!

On Levi's 'graduation day,' he was 5 lbs. 8.8 oz. and 19.25 inches long. And cute as ever!

When we left the NICU, Levi and I headed straight to Elaine's house and stayed there for a few hours before heading to her parents' house (where we've been staying) for the night.

Luke flies in tonight, and tomorrow we will drive back to North Carolina. My parents will bring Micah home on Friday.

Friday night my family of four will finally be under one roof! Praise the Lord!!


Elaine meeting Levi
Photobucket

Discharge paperwork being done
Photobucket

Last time to hold Levi before he's officially discharged and wire-free
Photobucket

Unhooking him!!!
Photobucket

They're gone!!
Photobucket

And the monitor is turned off for the first time in 4 weeks and 1 day
Photobucket

Dressing him for the first time
Photobucket

Holding him for the first time dressed and wire-free. AMAZING feeling!!
Photobucket

Being wheeled to the elevator by Mandy with my atty Emily
Photobucket

Getting in the car seat
Photobucket

And just before we left the hospital, Jackie (birth grandmother) had one last moment with Levi. Here she is holding him.
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. So excited that Levi has "graduated" and you all will be together again soon! God is good!!

    PS - Thanks for posting the pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last picture of him (with Jackie), he is the sweetest thing ever. Congrats again.

    http://itiswhatitisorisit.net/

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!!!!! So HAPPY to see this and can't wait for you guys to get home!!!! I will pray for a safe, safe trip home and we all miss you guys so much. I am dying to meet this precious little guy and here more about the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure you have been a very busy momma now that you have two little guys at home! But I am hoping to see some more pictures of little Levi and hear about your latest adventures. ;)

    ReplyDelete