Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Update on last night and this morning

Hi all. It's Rebecca this time. I still have enough anesthesia and pain meds left to be able to type with both hands without too much discomfort.... for now.

Last night wasn't too bad. I've had morphine almost every hour along with another pain med, but I don't remember the name. So far, so good as far as pain and discomfort go, but I am starting to get my feeling back, so I know the pain is coming.

I didn't sleep well at all last night - even with the morphine. I dozed off and on, but that's about it. Around 4:00 I felt wet on my left side and when I reached over, I was soaked in blood! I immediately called my nurse and she was here with another nurse in about 5 seconds. I had totally oversaturated my dressing over my drains (under my mastectomy incision). We had to change part of my bedding, pillow cases and hospital gown. Turns out that my blood is clotting right by the drains and I was pretty puffy. They had to work at getting the clot worked out and making that blood drain rather than backing up and coming through the incision by the drain. As they were cleaning it, I raised my whole arm up over my head - amzing really, but now my arm is starting to really hurt!!! I've been encouraged to move it as much as possible though, but I never imagined I'd have such a range of motion. I bet it won't last long though. Anyway, I digress. The whole process took about an hour, but all was ok... 'til about 6:45 when it happened again. We caught it much more quickly the second time. My surgeon was in here this time along with my nurse, and were able to clean it up quickly and only had to change the dressing.

Because of this, I will be staying a second night, which honestly is fine with me. I'm not in a rush to get home when while this isn't anything to be majorly concerned about (as in I'm not being taken back to the OR for 'repairs'), it is something that needs to stop and not happen for several hours and be totally under control before I leave. They are going to unhook my IV later this morning and have already taken off my oxygen and these leg things that I had to wear for circulation. I also get a regular diet today rather than liquids! Woooo Hoooo!

I'll update or have Luke update if/when there is anything else to tell.

3 comments:

  1. I bet you were terrified when you woke up like that. I'm glad you're staying at the hospital another day, you'll be in good hands and they can watch you carefully. I'm praying you heal quickly and arent' in much pain. Sending you a virtual hug---Love!!
    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You continue to be in my prayers Becca! I think it's a good thing you get to stay in the hospital an extra night. We are all thinking about you on BN.
    --Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also glad you are staying another night. It is amazing how quickly they try to throw you out of there. I'm sorry you having issues with the drainage tubes. We are all too familiar with those lovely tubes in this house. I'm so glad you could post. You seem to be keeping up in good spirits. Lots of love and prayers from my family!

    ReplyDelete