You had to know this was coming. Breast cancer awareness is my new soapbox. I've learned quickly that cancer doesn't care. It doesn't care who you are. Race doesn't matter. Age doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if whether or not you're religious or spiritual, charitable, pre or post-menopausal, single, married, a mother or father, breastfed, diet, exercise, taken hormonal birth control, etc, etc. I could go on and on. Of course there are risk factors, but it still doesn't matter! I had/have none of the risk factors (unless of course I have the gene.. different story) that are associtated with cancer. I want you to be aware. Please do self breast exams. If you're older, please get your yearly mammogram. One in eight women will be diagnosed. If my calculations are correct, that means at least 10 people who read this site (from the numbers of people that I'm aware of) will be diagnosed. In the time it's taken me to type out this whole entry, 10 women have died from breast cancer. Please.. I beg you, be aware and involved.. not for me, for yourself and your family!!
I'm going to list websites and books that are excellent resources, and of course you can ask me anything about my own diagnosis and expereinces. I don't care if you're 12, 16, 25, 30, 40 or 70. You need to be aware. Knowledge is power.
Websites for knowledge, awareness and involvement -
http://www.breastcancer.org/
http://www.cancer.org/
http://www.cancer.gov/
http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
http://www.youngsurvival.org/
http://www.komen.org
http://www.avonwalk.org/
http://www.the3day.org/
http://www.avoncompany.com/women/avoncrusade
http://www.armyofwomen.org/ - particularely the Get Involved section
http://www.hardrockhotels.com/PinkSheetsPromotion.html - Taking a vacation in October?
Great Books for Breast Cancer patients, survivors and loved ones (I'm sure there are more great ones, but I'm only recommending ones I've read and liked)-
Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book - http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Susan-Loves-Breast-Book/dp/0738209732/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223519922&sr=8-6
I'd Rather Do Chemo Than Clean Out the Garage - http://www.amazon.com/Rather-Chemo-Than-Clean-Garage/dp/0971326525/ref=pd_sim_b_14
Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy - http://www.amazon.com/Why-I-Wore-Lipstick-Mastectomy/dp/B000FUTQ50/ref=pd_sim_b_22
Living Through Breast Cancer - http://www.amazon.com/Living-Through-Breast-Cancer-Carolyn/dp/0071444637/ref=pd_sim_b_12
Dear God, They Say It's Cancer - http://www.amazon.com/Dear-God-They-Say-Cancer/dp/1582295751/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223520253&sr=1-6
Living Beyond Breast Cancer - http://www.amazon.com/Living-Beyond-Breast-Cancer-Survivors/dp/0812930665/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223520485&sr=1-1
Hope for the Journey through Cancer - http://www.amazon.com/Hope-Journey-through-Cancer-Inspiration/dp/0800731867/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223520514&sr=1-1
Letters of Hope - http://www.bookfinder.com/dir/i/Letters_of_Hope-Surviving,_Thriving,_and_Sharing_Strength/0890982740/
What Cancer Cannot Do - http://www.amazon.com/What-Cancer-Cannot-Do-Encouragement/dp/0310811848/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223520626&sr=1-1

No comments:
Post a Comment