It's really bizarre to think that a week from today my surgery will be over and I'll be in the hosptial with one breast. I STILL can't wrap my mind around it, and I've resigned myself to the fact that I likely won't 'til sometime after it's over.
Anyway, I did have the gene testing done Friday. There was about half an hour or so of 'counseling' where they went over my entire family line and history. Then after explaining the benefits and risks of the test as well as options for after we receive the results, they drew my blood and sent me on my way. I'll be going in on Nov 10 for the results. Please, for me and my family (blood, especially, but all of them) pray that I do not have either BRCA gene mutation!
I said I'd give my 2 cents worth regarding the Lifetime movies. Once again, "Why I Wore Lipstick to my Mastectomy" made me cry. Things have changed a lot since the late 90s when Geralyn had breast cancer. I think even the reconstruction process is slightly different, and I don't think it's supposed to hurt like hers did. I guess I'll soon find out for myself.
"Living Proof" was also very good. It was more medical and factual based than emotional and personal than the typical Lifetime movie, but I thought it was very well done. I feel like I should be thanking Dr. Slamon and even Lilly Tartikoff and Ronald O. Perelman of Revlon for raising money for Herceptin. This is the drug that will likely save my life. Watching those women, especially Nicole Wilson (I think that was her last name) touched me so much knowing that they, in a sense, sacrified themselves, not knowing how their bodies would react to these drugs, so that I could have a shot at a longer and healthy life. I feel completely humbled and am thankful to have seen that story and how far breast cancer research, medicine and treatment have come!
And then on a side note, I wonder why I'm not always brought to tears and feel touched with I think about what Jesus did for me on a scale greater than I'll ever know! If I think that Dr Slamon, Tartikoff, Perelman and thousands of others worked to save my life, and they did, then how should I feel toward Jesus and what He did!? Talk about humbling. I guess I can get through a mastectomy...

Amen. You can, and you will. my family and I are praying for you! You're so strong!!
ReplyDeletePraise God for your courage and strength He has given you! Your closing comments are right on the mark. You have our prayers. We know you can do it!
ReplyDelete