A while back I decided I wanted to reward myself when I hit certain milestones. My first one would be when I lost 15 lbs. Well, my friends. I'm less than a pound from that first goal, and I'm pretty proud of this accomplishment. I've been thinking a lot about my reward this week. What will I do for myself? Massage? Pedicure? Start a Pandora charm bracelet (wanted one for a while)?
Then I read a blog post tonight called We Didn't Get the Memo from A Place Called Simplicity. I've made it no secret in the last few weeks on here and on my FB page that Luke and I have a heart that hurts and breaks for orphans and that we plan to bring some home as soon as we possibly can. (And I won't stop making it known and advocating for them!) The following words from the post We Didn't Get the Memo (which I encourage you to read in its entirety) helped me decide on my reward.
"You know what memo I mean?
The one that has been circulating for quite a few years now, throughout Christianity in the western world: that our lives are our own and our "reward" for accepting Christ is a life of pleasure......
There is no doubt that we all need times of relaxing and refreshing and "fellowshipping," but when the relaxing and refreshing is 99/100 of what we do in our spare time, then the picture is all wrong. Jesus set the example when he ‘gave his life away’. He spent entire days ministering to the poor, caring for the needs, healing those around Him, praying, walking the streets ministering freely, telling all about the life-changing message of Jesus Christ......
Yup, scripture is clear, in the end times men/women will be lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God. If that doesn’t describe today - wow!!
Me, me, me.
The indulgences of pleasure: manicures, pedicures, travel, fashion, sporting events, shoes, massages, facials, purses, jewelry, straightening hair, perms, relaxing hair, hair extensions, follicle implants, color treatments, facelifts, butt lifts, tummy tucks, fancy restaurants and fancy cars - all aimed at making one feel “good” about themselves.....
In fact here’s a little test: if you and/or your family are spending more money on pleasure than you are giving, then things are out of whack! Giving does not mean your tithe. Your tithe is a no-brainer - that’s 10%. Giving means ABOVE your tithe. And if each year your total of travel, manicures, pedicures, fashion, shoes, massages, facials, sporting events, purses, straightening hair, relaxing hair, perms, hair extensions, follicle implants, color treatments, fancy restaurants, hunting, fishing, golfing, boating, camping, skiing, rock climbing, fancy cars, is more than what you give above your 10%, then time to do some serious re-evaluation!
Gracious, even our pets have cushy comforts while the rest of the world suffers in tragedy.....
So back to that memo…..No, Dw and I and our family did not get it – nor do we want it! {And many of you, bloggy friends, didn't get it either.} We know we only have one life to live and we are gonna do all we can to minister to the needs around us. To bring home orphans. To feed the poor. To build orphanages in foreign countries. To spend time on our knees begging God to move on the hearts of families to open their hearts and homes to the orphan.
How can we turn our backs? When the one who did so much for each of us only asks us to love others as He loves us?"Man. Her words hit me hard. Right in the gut. I completely agree with her and yet I live exactly the way she is describing most of the time. That must change. We don't spend a lot of extra, but we can still cut back. Way back. And we will because we desperately want to adopt from Ukraine and anywhere else God leads our hearts. We want to help others adopt and advocate for the orphans so others will adopt and/or see the need and be led to help those who are adopting.
As for my first reward? I don't need a pedicure or a massage or a bracelet. But MILLIONS of children need homes. The money I'd planned to spend on myself will go to help the orphans.

Oh WOW Rebecca ... you get it! I'm so proud of you! We really need so very little when we awaken to a world that has so little. I love you!
ReplyDelete