Friday, July 11, 2008

Update from first day of chemo

From a journal entry Wednesday 7/9 after my first chemo treatment:

Today has been ok so far. I nursed for the last time this morning and right now I'm feeling ok about it. I'm sure it'll be harder when tonight comes and I can't feed him, but we'll cross that bridge tonight.

Getting the chemo was no big deal. I was in a treatment room with 7 other cancer patients, and they were all very nice. One of them gave me a purple bracelet that says 'Cancer Sucks.' Not my favorite word, but oh, so true. My chemo nurse is just wonderful; seriously one of the nicest people ever. She even gave me her home phone number! No real side effects so far. I'm feeling a little spacey and dizzy and I'm really hot, but I was told the worst will most likely come sometime between tonight and Saturday.

On the good news front - I learned of a cancer support center nearby that only services residents of the county I live in. They supply all kinds of things. I have an appt with them tomorrow at 10:00 to see what they offer. The two things that I know about and am excited about is that they will send my pharmacy up to $60 a month for cancer related meds , which we will be so grateful for, and they're going to buy me a wig that I get to pick out! I'm not sure what the spending limit is, but I'll find out tomorrow. I did go to another place yesterday that gives free hair stuff and was able to get a sleep cap and one scarf. All the wigs they had were much lighter than my hair color, except one black one that was odd looking and streaked with gray. Tomorrow after my appt at the support center, I get a shot that helps with my white blood count and then next Tuesday I'll have my port put in. Looking forward to that as well. I have teeny tiny rolling veins, so that will help a ton.

1 comment:

  1. Great news about all of the free stuff. What a blessing! Glad you are doing ok. We are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete